Sunday, October 23, 2016

THE TORTURE DOES NOT STOP

It is a sad thing that at this very moment I am keenly aware of the box of cookies. It sits between me and the television set. My apartment mate bought them, and because she is fast asleep in her own room, I cannot ask if I may have any. I'm sure she'd say yes, but I should ask, so that she is fully cognizant of the horror her assent would unleash. I would finish the entire box of them, and be bouncing off the walls, high as a kite on refined sugar, honey, and almond chunks. Then I would sink into a stupor, once the sugar wears off, and likely fall asleep fully clothed on my bed, reeking of almonds and pipe tobacco (I smoked five bowls of rubbed-out flake while in Marin today, mixed with a little fragrant dark toast).

It would be a frightening Sunday evening.

So I'll do the gentlemanly thing.

And not wake her.


They sit there, tempting me with their crumbly sugary goodness.


It is far too late to go to Chinatown for dinner. All my favourite places close by eight or nine, there is nothing good to eat at this hour.

Bitter melon or eggplant with sliced fish? Roast duck over rice, or siu-yiuk braised tofu? Perhaps baked Portuguese chicken rice or a club sandwich with fries at the Washington? Salt fish eggplant, a flaky lotus bun, and milk-tea? Even congee and some stirfried gailan with oyster sauce?

No can do. Meanwhile, those almond cookies wink at me.
They are tempting, so crunchy and sinful.
Being good is hard.


京都餐館 CAPITAL RESTAURANT
['King-to Chaan-kwun']
839 Clay Street, San Francisco, CA 94108.
Telephone: 415-397-6269

港新寶燒腊小食 KAM PO (H.K.) - KAM PO KITCHEN
['Gong San Pou Siu-lap Siu-sik']
801 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133.
Telephone: 415-982-3516.

華盛頓茶餐廳 WASHINGTON BAKERY AND RESTAURANT
['Waa-seng-duen Chaa Chaan-teng']
733 Washington Street, San Francisco, CA 94108.
Telephone: 415-397-3232

荷里活茶餐廳 NEW HOLLYWOOD BAKERY & RESTAURANT
['Ho-lei-wut Chaa Chaan-teng']
652 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133.
Telephone: 415-397-9919

銀都雲吞麵 YIN DU WONTON NOODLE
['Ngan Dou Wantan Min']
648 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Telephone: 415-834-9388


I'm just listing these places for completeness' sake. Much like a starving man would write out recipes, or a recovering alcoholic might fondly recite the names of his favourite single malt Scotch whiskies which are available at the cigar bar on Pine Street. It's a form of self-torture.
I'll probably be dreaming about them tonight.
I do not want to cook anything.
I'll just suffer.



There's quiche in the freezer, but I'm not that hungry.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...